Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Winter Carnival

I'm back from my second ski lesson. But no, this post isn't going to be about another of my ski lessons. All we did for class was go down more slopes, no point in me describing it. You have to try it for yourself to know how it feels. This post is, instead, going to be about my weekend. Charlie came over for the weekend, specially for the St. Paul Winter Carnival. But of course we did other things as well. I'll just briefly summarize my weekend.


Went skating on Friday. Unfortunately, the weather was cold and windy, not the best weather to be skating. And then as we were going back to school, we missed the bus and had to wait about 30mins in snowing weather for the next bus. So freezing cold.


On our way to the winter carnival. This is a picture of Harriet Island where the winter carnival is held. Notice that Mississippi River is partially frozen.


The 4 of us at the entrance of the Winter Park.


Snow sculptures.


Remember those battery operated things we used to play as kids. The kind where the penguin would "climb" a set of stairs and start sliding down when it reaches the top. I played with one that had a lift in it, I think. Cute sculpture, eh?

Dragon


Raccoons and trash can




Notice how many of these snow sculptures depict summer life. Hehe.


Me with an elephant


Giant ice sculpture. It's called Margaritaville. Haha.


Ice sculpture of a kid trying to reach a cookie jar. Ice isn't opaque like snow, so it's harder to capture on camera. And I look fat in this photo. Sigh. I guess it's going to be freshman 15. bleah.


Bear and fish


2 bears fighting


St. Paul across the semi-frozen Mississippi River (I think it is the Mississippi).


This is a badge I made when I was at the carnival. Just draw whatever I wanted and they'll make it into a badge. The really cool and fun part of the carnival wasn't actually all the winter stuff. It was more the freebies, food and souvenirs. I conclude that we're typical Singaporeans. I shall not go into too much details to save my own face. Haha. But there were a lot of food samples, free food, performances, booth games, face painting, balloon twisting, and other free souvenirs, like the badge above.

Last night, we went to Loring Pasta Bar. The food's not bad, the ambiance is nice, the service good. Not a bad choice, I'd say. Went for malt milk at Annie's after that. So full. Now you know why I keep complaining that I'm growing fat.

Gina

1 comment:

eLaInE said...

hey hey! looks good. the snow and ice..haha..i only caught the snow in lund for a day and caught a bit of it in copenhagen as well. be careful of the slippery ice ya?